There are many ways to improve website traffic, but not all of them can be done quickly.
Of course, there is no such thing as a quick fix; however, the items below are some things you can check-off over your morning coffee. Now, the actual results may take time to show their worth, but trust us, it will be worth it in the long-run.
Plus, the things listed below will improve website performance overall.
Note: This post was inspired by a handout we shared at a recent presentation – we thought you’d might like some quick, actionable items, too.
Ways to Improve Website
Research & Positioning
Improve online marketing by starting with research and positioning – where are you and where are your competitors?
- Search for “related: [yourwebsite.com]” in Google – this will provide a starting point for a list of influencers and competitors to network with
- Do the same for your competitors
There are a number of ways to improve website traffic but one of the best, and cheapest ways is to do so by implementing a solid keyword strategy.
- Determine what keywords you already rank for by plugging in your site name into semrush.com
- Do the same for your competitors – do you or don’t you want to rank for those keywords, too?
- Sign-up for Google AdWords keyword planner and nail down 10-20 keywords that best describe your business
- Utilize your target keyword list in your site content, blog posts, page titles, H1s, H2s, and alt text
- When creating your target keyword list, capture related keywords that didn’t make the cut – use the related keywords for blog post ideas
How do you improve seo of website? By starting locally.
- Visit and sign-up for everything listed in Moz Local (note: keep your address consistent, for example if you spell out “East”, never use the abbreviation “E”)
- Sign-up for local directories and other directories within your realm of products or services
Drive more traffic to your site with some social media tools.
- Get ActionSprout to help you boost Facebook content that’s already performing well (there is a great free option!)
- Create a social media content calendar for the next month – use local events, press releases, funny holidays, and more as a backbone for content
- Sign-up for Hootsuite’s free trial to plug-in your social media calendar
The easiest way to improve website traffic is by tapping your current network.
- Make a list of sites that are ancillary to your business (e.g. vendors, blogs, related organizations) – leverage this list for blog post writers, blog post content, social media shoutouts, backlinks, etc.
- Contact them – people want to help! The worst they are going to say is “no”
Review w/ Monthly Calendar Reminders
Nothing is perfect, including your memory.
- Test that your conversions are working – make sure that you can purchase things on your site, successfully sign-up for your newsletter, etc.
- Review your Google Analytics (after signing up for it, of course)
But quick ways to improve website performance and traffic are not always the answer. Consider creating a strategy for each acquisition channel.
Or, if you simply don’t have the time, then “keep the main thing the main thing” by outsourcing your marketing.