There are many ways to improve website traffic, but not all of them can be done quickly.
Of course, there is no such thing as a quick fix; however, the items below are some things you can check-off over your morning coffee. Now, the actual results may take time to show their worth, but trust us, it will be worth it in the long-run.
Plus, the things listed below will improve website performance overall.
Note: This post was inspired by a handout we shared at a recent presentation – we thought you’d might like some quick, actionable items, too.
Ways to Improve Websites
Research & Positioning
Improve online marketing by starting with research and positioning – where are you and where are your competitors?
- Search for “related: [yourwebsite.com]” in Google – this will provide a starting point for a list of influencers and competitors to network with
- Do the same for your competitors
There are a number of ways to improve website traffic but one of the best, and cheapest ways is to do so by implementing a solid keyword strategy.
- Determine what keywords you already rank for by plugging in your site name into semrush.com
- Do the same for your competitors – do you or don’t you want to rank for those keywords, too?
- Sign-up for Google AdWords keyword planner and nail down 10-20 keywords that best describe your business
- Utilize your target keyword list in your site content, blog posts, page titles, H1s, H2s, and alt text
- When creating your target keyword list, capture related keywords that didn’t make the cut – use the related keywords for blog post ideas
How do you improve seo of website? By starting locally.
- Visit and sign-up for everything listed in Moz Local (note: keep your address consistent, for example if you spell out “East”, never use the abbreviation “E”)
- Sign-up for local directories and other directories within your realm of products or services
Drive more traffic to your site with some social media tools.
- Get ActionSprout to help you boost Facebook content that’s already performing well (there is a great free option!)
- Create a social media content calendar for the next month – use local events, press releases, funny holidays, and more as a backbone for content
- Sign-up for Hootsuite’s free trial to plug-in your social media calendar
The easiest way to improve website traffic is by tapping your current network.
- Make a list of sites that are ancillary to your business (e.g. vendors, blogs, related organizations) – leverage this list for blog post writers, blog post content, social media shoutouts, backlinks, etc.
- Contact them – people want to help! The worst they are going to say is “no”
Review w/ Monthly Calendar Reminders
Nothing is perfect, including your memory.
- Test that your conversions are working – make sure that you can purchase things on your site, successfully sign-up for your newsletter, etc.
- Review your Google Analytics (after signing up for it, of course)
But quick ways to improve website performance and traffic are not always the answer. Consider creating a strategy for each acquisition channel.
Or, if you simply don’t have the time, then “keep the main thing the main thing” by outsourcing your marketing. See our blog on whether or not to outsource.